Drive 80 Miles


 It is hard for me to remember exactly what the weight of overflowing hormones constantly pushing up against my brain was like when it has faded into the resignation of adulthood. There was a time in my life that I would drive 80 miles, each way, for the chance to make out. Well, in honesty that is not a accurate statement, I would have driven much more than that it was just that was how far away my girlfriend was staying all by herself at a relatives house for a couple of weeks. Also, it was not me who was driving but my sister she of the recent driving endowment. I bribed her into lying and driving far far away. I figured that my girlfriend was frisky anytime we were not alone together so naturally alone together would b e even better because I would not be constantly anxious about being caught. I thought that because I was young and naive and didn't understand women. I had, in error, applied standard mathematical principles to my logic, if-this-then-that type of stuff. Oh, I have to chuckle-cringe at myself now I am older and naive and don't understand women, because from this vantage point my error was obvious - I needed to use a subtler calculus to get the correct conversion factors. She liked teasing me physically while we were in the presence of others precisely because it made me uncomfortable and it couldn't go to far, she didn't want to really have some time to ourselves because that had worked our rather poorly for her in the past with the other guy. She was however, flattered that I would come all the way out of my way to spend time with her. There she was, happy to see me but not really excited about having her bluff called. I came into the house ready for some smooching and maybe more and she was all of the sudden really interested in putting together a 1000 piece puzzle in the living room with my sister. I was irritated because if we were in the back seat of a car that her mom was driving all she wanted to do was make-out but in a house practically to ourselves she wanted to find all of the sky pieces. This went on for hours and I was getting increasingly frustrated with her defense and was wondering why I even bribed my sister to come down here, full disclosure I would have instantly driven 80 more miles if she was that far away at that moment, but still. My sister had a thing or something to get to and so a few minutes before zero hour my girlfriend asked me to come look at something in the bedroom and then got all kissy kissy on me with a firm time limit in place. At the time I really didn't have any idea what had changed I was just glad to be getting to the point of this trip. We had to leave really soon for my sister to make it back in time and I, still not understanding what had taken so long, was happy anything got underway but wished it had happened sooner so we had more time. Still I went home happy 160 miles poorer but one kissy-face richer.