The Main Event


 I was not really an Areosmith fan but my friend Cole and his friends were big fans so I figured I should like them as well. I didn't dislike Areosmith it just wasn’t something I had searched out and not something I ever got a hankering for but there I was at my first official concert seated behind the gold-flake hefty rockers. We had endured the musical stylings of the tragically inept Jackyl and we were watching the roadies set up and tune up the real bands gear and I never having been to a concert before was not sure what kind of time we were looking at. The tune up roadie picked up a guitar and sound checked it with a little Led Zeppelin and I thought that was cool and then he played a little AC/DC on the next guitar. Ironically they were both bands that I guess, if pressed, I would have preferred going to see. The lights went down and the smoke came up and we were treated to the dulcet and memorable opening riff to 'Sweet Emotion' and in that instant, with their much greater musical skill and vastly professional production crew then the opener, I understood the appeal of live concerts. Everyone stood up and cheered which meant that I had to stand up if I still wanted to see. The Goldy ladies started twitching arrhythmically in what they must consider dance in their culture and Cole and I got a really big kick out of there awkward lurching. As the concert went on I was getting into the mood more and more and the highest praise I can offer the band was that they played the songs just like on the album without a lot of musically masturbatory and self indulgent solos and flourishes. The show wrapped up and Cole I were getting our stuff together because as concert virgins we were not aware of the fake ending thing but were clued in because everyone else just kept cheering and chanting and yelling but definitely not moving or leaving. Sure enough as I later found was pretty much concert ritual they came back and played three of their all time greats for everyone to sing along to and leave fully satisfied. We headed out and Cole bought a tee-shirt then we found our ride and recounted the evening to a long suffering mother who got all the pleasure of hearing a concert recap. My ears rand for a day or two and I had the concert bug especially when I was able to see how jealous all the non-concert people got when I told them I had gone unchaperoned to a gig. That was worth more to me then seeing Areosmith live.