A CD Recorder


 We were fairly poor growing up and didn't have the nicest or newest of anything. I wanted nice stuff and to impress kids and make them jealous but with six and sometimes seven kids at home we had sufficient for comfort but not much more. My one friend Cole was in a much smaller family, just him and his brother, so he had a few nice things that I coveted. They had a Nintendo with some games, he had a TV in his room, a water bed and poster of Shaquille O'neal which said 'FUTURE SHOCK' on it and looked awesome. When we were in junior high though he got the coolest thing I had ever seen, a five disk CD changer. It was part of a stereo system that still had a duel tape-deck which was great for copying the best albums tape to tape with speed dub but the best thing was that the five disk changer had a program that would figure out from your selection of songs how to best organize them onto tapes for a flawless mix tape. Up until then my mixology was limited to quickly7 pushing record on the tape-deck when a song I really liked came on the radio or I could dub a single song off of an album and then que up another. The work was tedious and often times error prone but that is what we did because that is what we could do. This new system was amazing it selected the disk you had programed stated the recoding paused it to go to the next song and cut right in with robotic precision. This was the future we were promised and it was as good as I could have hoped. It turned out that a machine that could make really good copies of CD's onto tapes had a very limited useful life and I have not listened to an audio cassette for at least ten years, it has actually been about that long for a CD for that matter. But there for a few glorious months I had some really great mix-tapes, some real top shelf stuff that the ladies really appreciated.