Nervous Breakdown


 My girlfriend, prior to being my girlfriend, had a really rough go of it with a older boyfriend who had been abusive so she was many times on the emotional edge. If anything set her off she might start crying out of the blue or say something like she was starting in the middle of a thought that was really rather dark. The night that Rob had driven us up to go to the dollar movies the car was having some type of electrical problem and we broke down twice and had to be jumped once before we even got to the theater so we decided it would be a good idea just to head home and skip the stranding. The events of the night were really just mildly inconvenient but the stress of it coupled with whatever was going on in my girls troubled mind pushed her over the edge and she started getting really panicked and hysterical. Rob was starting to get very worried because she was freaking out and he was trying to get us home and into someone else's realm of responsibility while I was in the back seat with her trying to calm her down and tell her it was okay. When we got home I stayed in the car with the now calm girlfriend while my mom took the other two boys home in her car. I stayed in the back seat with her head on my lap stroking her hair and talking to her for about an hour. She didn't say anything back to me but I just told her over and over that she was safe and that everything was going to be okay. I didn't feel like I was sure if it was going to be okay but maybe I was telling her and hoping myself. My mom, naturally nervous about me spending so much time alone in the backseat of the car with a girl in the dark hovered between the front door and the car just to make sure she didn't become a grandmother I guess. At one point before we took her home I told my girlfriend that I was really worried about her because I loved her so much and I, for the first time in my life, really meant that I loved someone for no other reason then I wanted them to be happy and safe with no ulterior motive. We had to take her home eventually despite her protest of wanting to stay. The next day was Saturday so we didn't see her at school but I called and her mom said that she didn't want to talk to me right then. I was crushed thinking of why she would not want to talk to me. She came by my house a couple of hours later carrying a bouquet of white flowers and I was so relived and excited that she was not trying to avoid me for some reason. I assumed that the flowers were for me and was flattered but she had actually brought them for my mom. I was a little sad that she was giving my om credit when I did all the comforting but then she asked if she could talk to me and she did thank me and told me that she loved me too. She went home and I was about as happy as any kid can be.