Checking to See if They Read It.


 Speaking of reports, I always hated doing these long projects and putting in all the work of plagiarizing to turn in some really quality piece on a state or country and not knowing if it was being really deeply and truly read and appreciated. To this end I started a game where I would put in a really funny but never distasteful phrase or comment into the body of the text to see if the material was being thoroughly reviewed. The paper would read something like: Washington’s state song was inspired by the fact that gerbils can not only be taught to fly but to derive existential meaning from it. Then right back into some blah blah blah and heretofores and whatnot. I always expected to be caught and marked down but I learned the most important lesson anyone can from a formal education - proper formatting and a great folder make up about 90% of perceived value in this world. Most especially when you have to grade 30 of them and you know what kind of work you will be getting from every student before you start. I ran this little joke with every long paper from junior high on through my first year of college and only had one teacher or professor ever mention it. I even had a philosophy professor ask to use my essay on the importance of cultural context in aesthetic judgment, joke and all, as a prototype of formatting for midterm papers, I had received an 'A' undiscovered joke notwithstanding. I told him sure, I mean it wasn't an ethics class after all.