Rock Climbing


 About this time my friend Jordan and his brother started getting into rock climbing and they took Rob and I along one day. That got Rob excited about it so he invested in some climbing equipment that he didn't use as often as I would like, so to make sure that the gear was getting the proper amount of attention I decided to pitch in and use it for him whenever possible. It was pretty much always possible. After we caught the bug Cole, Jordan, and I were up the canyon that was near our houses climbing several days a week. When we started out the resources were pretty thin consisting of a few carabiners, some carabiner and strap sets called quick-draws, or just 'draws if you were bad-A, and we were bad-A. We had a rope, a belay device called a figure 8 and a few harnesses and that was about it but that is all we needed because we were young with time to kill so having some fancy shoes that would help you climb the rock better didn't seem like they would be worth the $80 investment. At first we would go up and climb a group of three routes that were right off the road and then maybe go do some rappelling off of the aptly named rappelling wall. As the years went on most of the other guys stayed somewhere between mildly and somewhat interested and Cole and I were the only ones in our group of friends who stuck with it and eventually bought some real gear and actually worked at getting better. I have, in my more robust and pasty dough like body of adulthood given up climbing and I think Cole is the only one of my contemporaries still in the game. I tell you all this as a framework for what we got up to for the next four years always seemed to have climbing involved or related somehow.