Science Fair – Part the Third – The Day Of.


 The morning of the state competition we loaded up our projects and drove the twenty miles to the community college that was hosting the affair. We each had a table space and chair assigned to us and told to set up because the judges were going to come by any second. We hurried, they didn't. I thought for some reason that the judges were going to be people who knew something about electricity or science in general but they were just the Governor, the mayor, some suit from the electric company and another official looking pantsuit woman who was ushering the judges around and reading off the names and schools of the participants. Not a scientist or engineer in the bunch, pathetic. They were schmoozers and I am not from that tribe and have never picked up the nuances of the dialect with its strained over-chipper bullshitty tones and meaningless facial expressions which usually include too many teeth and not enough substance for my taste. They were working up and down the isles and I had to sit next to the kid who had won the eighth-grade state science fair competition last year with a rather nasty looking Jacobs ladder mad scientist looking thing. The contraption was magnificently load and dangerous looking and made the whole room smell of ozone and I knew we were not in the same league with this kid. I thought that because I would have voted for him if I had a vote because his was the most awesome. But who knows what a bunch of business and political types would think, who knows indeed? They came to our row and Cole demonstrated his and explained the science but had to admit unless there was some need for static hair there was not a ton of practical use for his machine. My girlfriend was up next and she did an awesome job of explaining what the concept of tidal and wave generation was all about. It was all I could do not to jump in when I felt the information was a little inaccurate but these yahoos didn't seem to notice that the way she was describing the process was not very practical. When it was my turn I explained the hydro electric pros and con and showed them my working model but knew they had no interest in my project so I wrapped it up and let them go on to Mr. Mad Science. He fired up the machine and produced a magnificent lighting bolt when the voltage difference was sufficient to jump the gap and far from being properly impressed these morons jumped back and told him to turn it off and not to turn it back on in the building. A scientist in his own country, amaright? They moved on and the minders told us we were free to go until the awards ceremony in a couple of hours. We went to the mall up the road to hang out for a bit while I waited nervously to see if by some miracle I would be called up to the podium. We went to the arcade and window shopped and then my girlfriend tried to molest me in a public place as was her custom and we ran out of time and we headed back for the big news.