Science Far – Part The Fourth – The Dim Kid Cometh


 I wish this was the day I got to tell you about how my massive intellect and production capabilities catapulted my friend, girlfriend and I to places one through three in the state science competition. I cannot, because a dim kid won. I thought the competition was about cool stuff but it turned out to be all about butt kissing and cheating. As is the custom in award giving they started out with some lame speeches while we all ate out our insides with anxiety. My friend got honorable mention, which was good because that left the other honorable mention and third through first wide open for me. The other honorable mention got mentioned and it was Mr. Mad Scientist. That's fine we're down to the real prizes now. Third place went to my girlfriend which was nice for her because she was going to get some recognition for my work and there was still, not second because they announced that, which was a girl who's project I hadn't seen. Just the big daddy left and I was starting to worry it might not be mine. It wasn't. They called up a eighth grader with an unbelievably magnificent project. I mean that it was not within the reasonable realm of probability that he constructed his project. It was a massive 8'x8' map of the United States with thousands of color coded flags witch showed where major electrical plants and substations were and other flags showing statistical clusters of cancer cases with some analysis that demonstrated no correlation between cancer rates and electrical infrastructure. Wow, I guess. The kid is called up on stage to explain his electric company vindicating offering and when he is given the mic it is instantly clear to everyone that he was rather dim and clearly not involved in the conception, researching or execution of this project. He was an idiot who went on vaguely describing what he was seeing in front of him on the project he purportedly made. After about a floundering minute his dad took the mic from him and spent 10 minutes explaining the science and the implication of the project while his kid cried on stage. I was mad that I lost but I was more mad that I lost again to a kid who didn't do his project. I was sick to death of competing against adults and the idiot judges who gave prizes to projects clearly not made by kids. I vowed that was never going to happen to another kid who honestly competed under my watch. Any chance I got after that to judge a science or art or anything contest, which was several times a year I took it and used my powers of persuasion to get all of the judges to vote for the passionate smart kids who did their own work and I would leave nasty notes on the judging papers for projects that were clearly built by adults.