Too Much Dignity For a Nickname


The other thing a summer of latch-key MTV scholarship taught my friend was that every cool group of friends went by nicknames. This would help to reinforce the idea of insiders and outsiders and show a deep level of shared experience. There were only the two of us that usually hung out and we had not really generate the desire in others to penetrate our inner circle so using nicknames to exclude them made no sense. We also had very little shared experience which would have lead organically to a descriptive and evocative nickname. He had already chosen the names we were going to have without my input, he was going to be 'Styles' and I was going to be 'Roach'. I think it is pretty easy to tell from these names who was supposed to be the cool one and who was the wacky/dirty one. He told me we would be calling me 'Roach' because I was crazy. What neither of us knew was that 'Roach' was marijuana slang, I just knew it was a dirty bug. I was immediately uncomfortable with my bestowed nickname and its implication. My friend started telling people around us in the hall that we were going by nicknames now and I almost immediately denying that. I generally sold out my dignity quite freely but this was different because it was not to make people laugh or to talk to girls this was just stupid and it made me nervous at a fundamental level. I stopped him and made sure I made eye contact and told him in no uncertain terms that I would not be going by any nick name and I would not call him by one. I must have had that end-of-story look because he just said 'okay' in a sheepish way. He never mentioned a nickname again and I never really got one except for the 'PumpkinHead' one, and being called 'Professor' as an insult.