Skipping School to Make Caramel


 When I was in eighth grade I had a pretty nondescript English class. It was not too fun or boring and the teacher was okay but not great and there I was passing time when I got sat next to the most perfect woman I had ever met. She was cute, and sassy, and funny and I was instantly and deeply in love. The only real problem was that she was co cute and cool that I was not the only one who was in love so I had lots of competition. Well, competition may be a strong word to use here because I, in retrospect, had no chance. I would try and make sure we worked on projects together and that we were conveniently at the same places and she was great always really nice and fun but always just about shop-girl friendly and no more. I called her to talk a couple of times over the summer and she was always willing to have a chat and she would laugh at all the right spots but then she would say something horrible like, 'I have to go and get ready, my boyfriend is coming over soon.'
'Damn your boyfriend, damn him to hell, you know you love me and not him.' I would say in a defiant manly voice in my head after she hung up the phone and I was going to be all alone and she was going to be with her much cooler, older and better looking boyfriend.
When we went back to ninth grade she was in two of my classes and came and sat by me on purpose and was always really nice which made it even worse. One day she came up to me in the hall before class and asked if I wanted to sluff (Payson slang for skipping school that is not in wide usage elsewhere) class and go to her house to hang out. I tried to play it cool but accepting an invitation to what very well be my chance to make out with the girl of my dreams I may have been over eager and it made her giggle a little and she said 'okay then' in a take-it-easy-buddy kind of tone. I was expecting to just leave with her and walk the mile or so to her house but then something catastrophic happened, other people were coming. Rule number 1 of making out is: no other people. What is worse is one of those other people, a sweet girl but not my type, was into me and was maybe thinking that she and I were going to get together. My euphoria melted into a thick surely glob in my stomach and I was considerably less cheerful. After we left the school and started goofing off and walking I was cheerful again and ready to have fun when we got to my friends house no one knew what to do to pass the time so I offered to cook up a batch of my homemade caramel that I could make from scratch. A trick my brother and I had perfected by necessity because we often lacked the funds for huge gobs of commercially produced fat and sugar. I boiled up the caramel while everyone talked around the kitchen bar and we all joked and had lots of fun. I poured out the sugar goop onto a cookie sheet and everyone got spoonfuls and ate it still warm. There have been many good days in my life but there are many many worse then skipping school to eat caramel with my crush and our friends when we should have been learning about U.S. History. We goofed off too long and I had to run as fast as I could back to the school to make it to the bus home in time and I just made it.