Asleep in Class - No Warning


 I like Geography it was Geography class that bored me to sleep. It was right after lunch and The teacher had such a pleasant monotone voice that he would lull me to sleep with nap-time stories about Glasnost and whatnot. Every day for weeks even as we plunged over the precipice of history with the end of the Cold War, the dissolution of the USSR, and the destruction of the Berlin wall I slept soundly in post lunch stupor. I had set a foolproof plan in motion that had me in a secluded corner by the quiet kids where I could put my head down and rest and I had made an agreement with the girl who sat in front of me to rouse me 5 minutes before the end of class. I was ready to wake-up and roll out, raring to disrupt the next class fully refilled with the chemicals that make me want attention and disregard consequences. This plan was clicking away beautifully but then I was found out and embarrassed. The teacher had finally noticed that I was exceptionally quite and still for a junior high student and one of my sleeping days he pointed out to the rest of the class that I was asleep which they all thought was funny because I was snoring softly. Ha ha, the sleep deprived kid is sleeping, ha ha. He told my waker-upper to shirk her duties and to let me sleep on into the next class which was he prep period. I slept on through the bell and the exodus of dismissal, right on through to the middle of the next class when I woke up tip to top all of a spasm. I was disoriented, panicked and not a little confused. My teacher, the jerk, caller-outer of class sleepers said a little sassy, 'Well, good morning Mr. Gause, did you have sweet dreams?' No, I did not, as a matter of none-of-your-business. I was not sure what to say as this was one of those circumstance where excuses or rationalizing just insults both parties. I just told him sorry for sleeping in his class and he told me that he thought it was disrespectful to the time and effort he put into the lesson for me to pass the time in Nod and not the Balkans. I agreed and gathered my stuff and headed out to my next class which I was more then half late to so I decided just to wait and miss it all. When the bell rang I found my deserter and chastised her for the dereliction of duty and relived her of further waking responsibilities while informing her of my deep displeasure with being hung out to dry sleep wise. She said she was sorry and plead for forgiveness and because she was cute and really flirty I forgave. I didn't sleep in that class ever again and didn't fall asleep in a class again until astronomy which has reclining chairs in the pitch black.