Basketball Tryouts


 I always wanted to play basketball for the school and I was not aware that other kids had been receiving intensive personal instruction for years while I was playing playground ball around town. I had never played organized basketball as a youngster I had only participated in disorganized basketball games. This lack of formal team mechanics and my overall lack of skill in basketball were definitely my downsides but I did play really hard which turned out to be a bigger downside. We had been running and doing drills in tryouts and then we were teamed up for some live action 5 on 5. I had been hustling up and down the court defending with tenacity and crashing the boards for rebounds which I thought was making me look like a valuable addition to the basketball team. The coaches evidently thought it made me look like a spaz. I had made the first cut from the field to twenty and thought I was on my way. I sealed my fate, in my opinion, when I was defending a kid who ended up making the team as the power forward and when he drove on me for a shot I went to block him did that and more when I slapped the ball out I followed through with an elbow to the nose. It was a instant and plentiful gusher and the coaches told me to leave tryouts while they tried to get the kids nose under control. I, in my naivete thought that I was just going out for the day and that there was still a chance that I would make the team. I showed up the next afternoon to hopefully read my name on the list that would guarantee me Junior High glory. The list cutting the team down to eleven was up on the coaches window and I walked over and saw lots of guys high fiving and a few sulking off. I was conflicted in wanting to know what was on the list but not wanting to be cut. I compromised by asking a boy on the back row of the small crowd around the paper. He let me down hard with a dismissive snort and a quick 'no'. I believed him but I still wanted to see my name not on the list. Choking back my emotion I wedged to the front and read the names twice to make sure and then headed off somewhere private to have a little cry. Unfortunately for every boy cut from a basketball team from then and forever Michael Jordan was becoming the best player of all time and he had been famously cut from his high school basketball team. This was supposed to give us hope that if we tried hard we could try out the next year and maybe make the team. What the coaches never told us was that he was not cut from the team outright he was a sophomore who didn't make the varsity team he did make the J.V. squad. We were freshmen who didn't make the freshman squad and in the next years we would be more and more years of experience and familiarity behind and to my knowledge none of us also-rans ever made the team in subsequent tryouts.