A Girl Runs For Something


 Even though I didn't have many friends in Santaquin when we all got transplanted to another town a little bit of shared experience camaraderie sprang up and if we were all not bosom buddies we were all more or less on the same team. When one of the cute girls from Santaquin decided to run for some sort of student government position many of us were on board with helping her. I, like most of the boys our age from Santaquin had always had a semi to full blown crush on this girl so I thought helping her might just get me in the door. It didn't. I worked really hard on making and putting up posters. As was my nature I made posters with my other naughty friend from Santaquin that were copied from the Simpsons that said 'SEX!' in large font and underneath that it said, 'Now that we have your attention vote for Amy.' We put them up and lots of people thought that they were really funny. Unfortunately for us most of those people were fellow students and not the teachers and administration. They called in our friend and told her to take down all of the offending posters. I felt sick with anxiety when she tearfully told me what had happened. I was trying to help and I had got her in trouble. So after that I just laid low and thought that I would be forgotten. The last thing the campaign had to do was to make a video to play over the closed circuit television system. In the video she went over the regular why you should vote for her stuff and then in the end she thanked the four or five friends that helped her on the campaign. I hadn't helped out after the 'SEX!' poster but She unexpectedly thanked me publicly over the TV which meant she was thinking of me and was publicly willing to admit I was her friend which would not have been the case a few years before. I made me want to cry for some reason and I sat there in class trying to keep it together while everyone turned in their desks to find me after my name was mentioned. Someone asked me a question that required some answer and I just inappropriately nodded because that is all I could do without crying. The girl lost the election but from then on we were pretty good friends until she broke up with me for someone else and then we were better friends.