State Playoffs


 We did fine in the first game of the State playoff with 32 teams in sixteen games because our strategy still worked. They had a roast-'em-toast-'em-coast-to-coast-'em ball hog as well and we had no trouble trapping him and stealing the ball for easy points. We went into the eight team round with a lot of confidence in our system because we had not yet lost a game but then we hit a major snag. This team passed the ball and we were confused about who we should trap and steal the ball from. My fellow guard and I would run up for the trap and zoop the ball was gone from his hands to another player on his team so we had to run over to him and zoop gone again like some kind of magic. They would throw the ball to each other until there was someone who was not defended well could take the shot. What was this new devilry? Can they do that? Is passing even legal? This was a new wrinkle that had to be ironed out fast or we were going home for the season. We were running ragged trying to catch up with these guys so our coach switched us up moving me to center which was a strange move because I was the second shortest kid on the team at 5'8”. I did have a quick and high jump though and was a tireless defender. The two tall guys (tall for our team at 5' 11”ish) got moved to forwards and the guards were on full press on a short substitution schedule to hopefully just outrun the other team. It started to work and we pulled back even and in the last few minutes they were gassed and we were able to pull ahead just in the close of regulation and win by one when the kid from the other team missed an open layup as time expired. After the game the referee came up to me and told me he had never seen someone play harder than I had and that I was the only reason our team won. It was the first time in my life that anyone had ever complemented me for an athletic performance. I had almost always been picked last and got cut from the real basketball team so when I got some praise in recognition of my hard work and determination I almost started crying and took a few minutes to go thoroughly look for something or other that I suddenly remembered in the stands while I tried to reign in my emotions. We were onto the final four and that meant we got to play our last two games in the Delta center where the real Jazz played. We were even going to get to meet a jazz player. We were hoping for John Stockton or Karl Malone but we got some deep bench dude that I cannot even remember clearly. I remember the stadium being huge and cold and dim because they didn't turn on the full game lights. For some reason I don't remember much about our semi final game . We were out paced, out shot, out manned and out-talled, We got so far behind so fast that there was no chance of a come back. We lost by something like 20 points and I was actually relived to not play again for the final I was just to anxious about loosing and really loosing for the first time in the season was actually cathartic and I went home fine with the fact that we were tied for the third best team of non school team eighth and ninth graders in the state.