I Dance Around Like Some Kind of Fagot


 The thing I always wanted, and to a large degree still want, was to be cool. I wanted to be able to just look cool, act cool and hand back and let the ladies flock to me and my mysterious bad-boyishness. My brain, my traitorous brain, would never allow me to do that and I would always loose interest in being cool and start goofing, and clowning. Sometimes I would catch myself and try and dial it back but usually it would just spiral out of control and soon I would be in trouble of one sort or another. I have written about the lame attempts at having a dance at our middle school but in junior high more people danced and it was at night and there was a real - realish, DJ. What drove most of the dancing, actually all of the dancing in Junior High dances were the girls and the levels of testosterone in the boy's bloodstream that were finally sufficient to overcome early teenage social timidity and would at least get them on the floor for the slow dances. We lived in a rural area and gender roles were fairly well respected in the community and most families except mine. When I saw the girls all out dancing to the fast dances my coolness decayed with the half-life of one of those exotic quantum particles and I was out and goofy dancing without realizing that boys didn't do that. Luckily, there were a bunch of hillbillies with plenty of testosterone sitting on the stage steps and along the wall there to point out my faux pas. They indicated to me that in their opinion only girls were allowed to dance to fast dances and that my participation was indicative of my homosexual tendencies. One kid, a star of the football team and overall tough guy, remarked quite loudly that I should quit dancing around like some kind of fagot. He sounded threatening in his tone but he was able to clear that up in his follow up remark when he promised to kick my queer ass if I didn't stop dancing with the girls. That terrified me. I really don't like being punched, kicked or actually physically abused in anyway. However, I did really, really like girls and it seamed like the best way for me to maybe make out with some, one, most or all of the girls here at the dance was to keep dancing and pretend like I didn't hear my nemesis. He saw that I was not stopping and pretending like I couldn't hear him so he picked up the volume and intensity of his requests for me to discontinue my gay dancing. It was becoming increasingly improbable that I could not have heard him so my plan to ignore him was becoming less realistic and I needed a new tack. I choose to pretend I had some pressing business unrelated to the threats of homo-cide from the redneck real manliness committee chairman. I asked a girl a year older then me that I had been interested in for a couple of months if she wanted to go for a walk outside for a bit and she said sure so we headed out through the doors manned by teachers so I would not be followed and beat. We got out under the homo-patrol's radar and went around the south of the building to the same place where the girl got shot and participated in that most homo-erotic of behaviors, of kissing someone of the opposite sex. I guess it turned out all that gay boogieing worked directly to plan. A fact I pointed out to the psycho when he asked me where I went during the dance when he had scheduled me for a punitive thrashing. Knowing that I left to make-out with a girl somehow deflated his rage entirely and he never bothered me at dances again.