First Day of Kris Kross Dressing


When I went back to school for the ninth-grade the first day in school had me at odds with my cool Payson friend. He was a cool kid who knew about cool stuff but I was not really buying what Ihe was selling in this situation. I had only played with him a couple of times over the summer and he had not seemed so drastically different but that was because I didn't know about a hot new influence in fashion and culture. That summer a young, very young, rap duo by the name of Kriss Kross shook up the hip-hop scene with edgy streetwise rap about missing the bus and jumping. The way they were influencing fashion was that they were wearing their expensive clothes three sizes too big, backwards, and with the tags still on. Seriously. Wearing your clothes backwards was not cool even if you had very expensive and cool clothes you just looked like you were not quite sure how the clothes you bought were supposed to go. My friend had a two fold plan to blow everyone’s fashion mind on the first day of school we would wear our clothes backwards and we would wear these peace sign necklaces he had made for both of us. I don't know why he wanted to dress like we were in a boy band, or going to Sadie Hawkins together, but he was fixated on it and insisted when I got to school that I should go to the bathroom and change all of my clothes front to back. To my everlasting shame I did but quickly found the problems with his plan. First, we looked like idiots. Second, my clothes were the size that I needed them to be to wear them front-wise and they did not have the room for a reversal which caused them to pinch and bind at all of the joints. Third the necklace that he had constructed for me was way too big. The necklace was made out of really heavy chain and was about four feet in diameter so it weighed about ten pounds. The part he was most proud of though was a peace sign that he had made from an old coat hangers and it was about the size of a dinner plate. On my small neck and body I looked more like the ghost of a skinny white wannabe hip-hop Jocob Marley come back from the dead to warn kids to not give into peer pressure. The peace sign landed about mid thigh against my backwards pants and I looked in the mirror and realized I looked like I had brain damage and turned all of my clothes back to the front and took off my comically huge neck-a-chain and went out to face my friend's disappointment. He told me to go back and get changed around because class was about to start I told him that I would not be wearing my clothes in a front to back manner on this day or any and he told me, “fine be a fag, I don't care.' He asked for his neck-a-chain back as he intended to give it to a friend who would appreciate it. I don't know if he was cursed with dramatically unappreciative friends or what but I never saw it worn in school or out of school ever again. After the first day of having his Kriss-Kross dressing fantasy dashed he forgave me and we were friends again and that fad, which never really started died with a whimper.