Jr. Jazz


 I couldn't make the school team so I went out and joined the city leagues who, by law, can turn no one away. The main problem with that was that the games and practices were four miles away and my dad hated that my mom had to take me to go play sports and he thought that if I wanted to go play sports I should make my own way to the next town over at night in the dark to practice and then come back all on my own and not inconvenience my mom and by extension him. He had a strict no organized sports mandate until my brothers wanted to play sorts and then he loosened the restrictions and let them both play foot ball and even went to their games. I don't think my dad has ever seen me compete in basketball, rock climbing, debate or wrestling. Just not his scene. So without the support of my mom and dad I got to go to practice when it struck her fancy and games when it was convenient. So I would miss a practice or two during the week because my parents were at church or busy and then on Saturday I would show up to games and want to play but the coach would want me to not play because I was not a dedicated practitioner. I told him the situation and told him I was practicing on my own and because I was about to cry he told me I could play. Play I did. I was pretty short and not a very good shooter but I had the unbounded energy of a spastic nerd who could foul up there with the all time greats. I was in Junior High in the early 90's and if you know your early to mid-nineties basketball you know it was Michael Jordan time all the time. What that meant was that every kid on the team who had missed the subtleties of Micheal’s greatness as a defender and rebounder and thought the best way to emulate him was to take the ball coast to coast and make an acrobatic shot. What happened is that on every team there was a dude or two who would use this strategy thirty times a game while his teammates jogged up and down the court out of the loop. The only time there was any real conflict was when the other ball hog on the team would get mad at the ball hog and yell at him for never passing it to him so he could go coast to coast and make an acrobatic layup. Selfish. Our whole strategy was to identify the coast to coast man and the other guard and I would full-court press and trap him. This coupled with his constitutional inability to pass the ball lead to lots of turnovers. In conjunction with our secret weapon – the other guy that stayed down at the other end for the long-pass easy layup, sometimes derogatorily called the 'cheery picker' – we won every single game in our season and went on to the regional and state playoff.