The Rendezvous


If you are not deep into the hillbilly culture you may not know about a little cos-play reenactment festival that is held several times a year around the country known as the Mountain Man Rendezvous. Modeled after the twice yearly trading meetings held by trappers and hunters to trade furs for supplies the modern rendezvous has a lot more kettle corn than the original but is otherwise identical. I jest, it is mainly middle aged men wearing leather clothing and using 19th century arms for contests of skill. There is also more commemorative plates featuring reproductions of the James Fraser 'End of the Trail' statue than at the original rendezvous. Justin and his family loved the Mountain Man and his dad had a full blown leather suit, black powder guns and the whole nine yards. I was able to go with them one year and when we drove into the valley where it was being held it was awesome to behold the teepee's and wall tents and it really looked like the past only cleaner with a lot more station wagons. We got out and walked around to the different booths and vendors most people were dressed to some degree in primitive clothes and they were shooting guns and cannons, in short it was the greatest thing I had ever seen. I wanted to be a mountain man so badly they all had great clothes, guns, and knifes; they lived off the land and didn't need help from no one. They had some Indian dancers come and do a couple traditional dances which was awesome as well. They had shooting contests, knife throwing contests, tomahawk throwing contests, and archery contests for all age groups so I gave a few of them a try. It may not seem like it would be hard to throw a tomahawk thirty feet and then stick it in the end of a stump but it turns out there is some skill to it. My first couple of throws missed the stump quite badly which was a harsh reality check for the image of the martial prowess that I supposed myself to have based on my fantasizing. We had lots of fun and came home the next day tired and happy. I was so excited that I wrote in my journal, which I rarely did, that I wanted to be a mountain man when I grew up. I did write that I could be a mountain-man-paleontologist, really the best of all possible scenarios in the mind of a pre-girl interested boy. After my trip to the rendezvous I practiced throwing a hatchet a lot which is basically like a tomahawk just available at army/navy stores for 5 dollars. Despite my intense interest the desire to dress in leather clothing and trap for a living never translated into anything more concrete and I sadly am not a mountain person.