Burning Down the Sandbox


I always loved playing with fire and Justin and his brother Ryan were always on board for a little dabbling in pyromania. Their neighbor had some kids who were much younger than us and they had a great sandbox it was deep and pure and perfect for us to build a G.I. Joe ad worthy war diorama and populate it with many of Justin and Ryan's toys. Anyone who has built a diorama knows that building it is the only fun part and it is incredibly boring when it is finished. After about five minutes of pretend war play we switched over to to bringing so gas over from Justin's house to simulate some nice napalm and lake-o-fire effects. We would pour out a puddle of gas and light it with a match and make hilarious screaming in pain sounds for the plastic soldiers who were bravely dieing in the conflagration. After a few hours of amazing play time with all sorts of fire based scenarios were played out the neighbor came home from work and discovered his once pristine sandbox was destroyed. Well, if you think a sandbox filled with puddles of burning sooty gas and melted toys is destroyed then it was, in fact, destroyed. He was a little upset about it and he started yelling at us to clean it up and I, as is my style decided to avoid the conflict and when the neighbor walked away to go get some rakes and shovels for us to use to clean up I ran as fast as I could into a field to the south and kept running abandoning my comeuppance and my friends. I ran fast and hard the four block to my house and then hid in case, as was my private fear, that the neighbor would call my parents and bring down punishment on me. I spent the evening and most of the night with my stomach trying to climb up out of my throat while I contemplated the unendurable suffering that would surely be mine when I was ratted out. But nothing happened, when we went to church that Sunday I tried to avoid the man who's sandbox I destroyed but he came right up to my dad and joked with him about how I burned down his sandbox and then ran off as fast I could. For some reason them making fun of me hurt worse than the horrible dismemberment I thought I was going to get and I hated them both.