Technically Food.


I have mentioned that Justin's family had a goat milk based diet, not based actually, but that is all I could taste most of the time. There were several meals that I got to share with Justin's family and I never remember a good one. It seemed like his mom liked to overcook everything so noodles were mushy, meat was like jerky but not in a good way and vegetables were boiled down into paste. My mom was not a regular by the schedule cook but when she did cook it was pretty good food. Justin had dinner or at least he had food ready every day at the same time ready to be served up and eaten if you were able. My normal technique for battling through horrible food was a quick bite and then a slug of milk to cleanse the pallet and send the vile sustenance on its way. The goat milk was the flaw in that coping mechanism. There I would be; hungry and having to do battle with my rising gorge, both literally and figuratively, with nothing but my will power alone with no milk for succor. I powered through and never backed down from the challenge. It was interesting for me to learn years later that my wife who happened to live down the road from Justin when she was growing up was sometimes babysat by his mother. After we were married she was describing some traumatizing food she had to eat at a babysitters house and I explained about my friend who's mother served foul food and we realized we were talking about the same food, and bonded.