The Waddley-Acha, Doodly Doo


When the three Attaway cousins that were around my age were about 10 or so their mom remarried and had some kids with her new husband. Being in a second family ten years apart the new kids were more like entertainment then siblings. My cousin Brooke had a hilarious little dance she used to do with the little baby Brittney – the second of the new batch of kids. She would pick Brittney up by her foot and swing her back and forth in a funny dance set to the tune of 'Waddle-Acha, Doodly Doo'. She would swing her back and forth and in a circle entertaining us and Brittney at the same time. The finale was usually Brooke slamming Brittney down on the bed or sofa she was using for a safety net and timing it so it landed on the last syllable of 'Doodly-Doooooooo!'. My brother and I thought the performance was so funny that we used to terrorize my little sister by repeating it with her precious baby dolls. We would start it out the same by holding the baby doll by her foot and then we would take it in a much darker direction by singing the song but on every 'Doo' we would slam the doll into something hard tryig to break something off. If you worked it out perfectly on the final refrain of 'Doodly Doooooo' you would slam the doll down and , God willing, knock its head clean off. We loved that game, my little sister not to much. So she used the one weapon at the disposal of little sisters from time immemorial, the tattle. My mom sided with the property rights advocate without considering the artistic merit of our dance and awarded my sister new dolls to be paid for by my brother and I. I think those replacement dolls may have been shot at some point but it is hard to remember which ones exactly because so many dolls got shot.