Running Static and Having Static Run

The girl I really wanted to date was a girl from my hometown that was pretty good looking and pretty fierce. She was highly opinionated and was not remotely afraid of letting all and sundry know what she thought and exactly how much she thought it. I had kind of had a thing for her on and off since the third grade. For most of that time I was well out of her league but there was a time my Junior year when we were hanging out with some mutual friends that some second level flirtation went on that made me think I may be able to finally make a move. We had driven up to the top of a local mountain and snuck into the radio relay tower and climbed up to the top and on the way home she and I sat together in the back seat. We were on a very curvy road and I was exaggerating the g-force around the turns to squish into her and the others in the back seat. She was playing along and was squishing back when the forces demanded it from her side. When we got down to a level road I leaned against her and she played with my hair which was pretty long at the time. Whoops! I wrote that last part wrong it should read, '. . . pretty and long.' Double conditioning was the key. At the time I was after another girl and she was kind of dating someone so nothing came of it but the experience gave me ideas. Now that we were a ways into our senior year she had been dating a kid that I would call a bit of a steaming pile of human garbage. Well, I would call him that if I was not as considerate of others as I am. I had been jealous of him like I was of all of those rish kids who didn't appreciate the luxuries I could only dream of. We were in a group of mutual friends that gave me opportunity to run a little anti-boyfriend static and I did anytime and every time I could. About Christmas break she had broken up with him because he was a turd and he started telling everyone that he had broken up with her because she was 'tight' – slang in our high school for a girl unwilling to put out sexually. I swooped in to take the chance to woo her but my best friend then and still my best friend to this day had the same idea. The chess game of trying to gain her favor while passive-aggressively trying to sabotage each other had begun.