Dress up Monkey Wears Overalls

Between Thanksgiving and Christmas that year I started hanging out with the girl I was madly in love with every day or close to it. My friend was also spending lots of time with her many days taking her to school or giving her a ride back home. Several times he would tell me that she had no interest romantically in me based on things she had told him in their private conversations. Other times she would tell me that my friend had been telling her all sorts of scandalous things about me. I didn't begrudge him a single thing, it didn't even make me mad, it was all in the spirit of competition and all is fair in love and war. He was leading off with a few romantic gestures that had me feeling left out so I made the exact same romantic gestures. It was getting a little weird at times but we were still all friends and went and did lots of things together. She went with us clothes shopping one day and at the time the hipping and hopping community had started advocating the practice of non-farmers wearing denim overalls in the sassy and swashbuckling style of leaving one of the built-in suspender things off to flap in the breeze. This was probably not a look I would have gone with if I was alone in the wilds of fashion all alone but my guide who I was very interested in pleasing said it was super cute. I left my dignity and self respect at the door and started being her dress up monkey trying on various styles and sizes until she found the pair that pleased her and then she demanded I buy them and wear them. My friend openly mocked my newly acquired urban-lite styling and my almost complete lack of self respect. True enough, but I was willing to debase myself for the opportunity to become her full time lapdog if there was any chance whatsoever that included some making out or 'macking' in the appropriated parlance of the day. I dressed like she wanted me to and took on the girl-power politics she espoused and that was my plan to win her over. My friend was unwilling to compromise his basic sense of identify to follow me down that particular rabbit hole and we started to move into end game. The lesson here is that I was spineless and possessing of almost infinitely flexible morality to get what I wanted. It's what champions are made of.