I Ruin A Get Together

On the road between the high school and my house is a mildly curvy road that was lined with houses with driveways that emptied right onto it. The combination of fast traffic and limited visibility for driveways had been the cause of one of my friend's mom death when she was struck by a police truck as she backed out of her driveway. Just a few blocks from the scene of that tragedy I had my own incident which was nothing on the scale of having your mom die but a decent day-wrecker nonetheless. It was a nice fall afternoon and I had been late at school at wrestling practice. I was driving a little over the speed limit but no dramatically so when I rounded a soft corner and saw a group of about 20 kids playing on a lawn so I slowed down a little. I was watching the kids and didn't notice that their dog, a good sized golden retriever had run into the road. I hit him hard and stopped, absolutely sick to my stomach. I backed up the car a little and I saw the dog moving and thought for one moment that maybe it wasn't that bad and the dog would be okay. Hope springs eternal. When I got out I saw right away that this was not going to go well. The dog was broken in half and was painfully dragging its back legs and yelping. I almost puked with the shock and horror of it and the kids all came running over to see if the dog was okay. I started to blubber about how I was sorry and that he just ran out and I couldn't stop and I wished I could just get in my car and drive away but I thought protocol indicated I should stay and help where I could. When the kids saw how badly hurt the dog was they started to cry and try and hold the dog who was whimpering and yelping in quite a bit of pain. Some of the older kids started yelling at me and telling me they hated me and a couple grabbed handfuls of gravel and threw them at me. It was okay I hated myself too. A grandfatherly looking guy ran over and saw how bad the dog was and that I was a little shell shocked. He realized as I had that the dog was not going to get better and that the best thing was to put it out of its misery. He asked me if I could take the dog away and put it down I told him that I would and we carefully pulled the dog away from the distraught children and laid him in my trunk on a blanket that I had in there and I drove away as some kids ran towards the car crying and other went back to the lawn still sobbing. I never found out what kind of gathering the group of kids and their parents were having but I think it is safe to say it was not the best-whatever-it-was they had ever had.