I Dance My Way Into a Corner

As I have mentioned before it was considered insufficient in our school to just go out to dinner and the dance we had to have a whole day-long production. On this particular day the plan was to go up to the local metropolis to spend the day at the planetarium and then go to the dance. The group that my borderline stalker friend has us going with was not a group that I was familiar with except for an effeminate guy that was in my grade and the cranky, bossy best friend to my date. The kid my age was one of those kind and gentle souls who was kind and considerate and generally nice so obviously many people, myself included, thought that he was gay. I am certain he was not an actual homosexual but back in the olden days 'gay' was a pretty widely drawn epithet circle of anything that was not exactly as manly as the hillbilly culture at my high school demanded from its young men. I had been in several classes with him but didn't really know him outside of the fact that I had, on occasion, joked about him being gay. This was the first time I actually spent any time with him and it turned out that he was pretty cool. My date was clingy and huggy sitting by me and trying to hold my hand all day which I indulged her in when I couldn't plausibly avoid it without hurting her feelings and seeming standoffish. In the planetarium when we were supposed to be laying flat and looking at lasers interpret the immortal works of U2 on the roof she turned all the way to her side and leaned into me with her arms around my waist and her nose touching my neck. I looked strait up and didn't engage her physically because I had no desire to see how much more obsessive she would be if I was her official boyfriend. I waited out the show and we went to eat and then she took me home to change for the dance. When she picked me up I was not sure what I was looking at exactly, her dress was silvery metallic with lots and lots of furry trim that was floating off and away in little puffs as she moved. Once more in the van she nuzzled in closer than I was comfortable with and stayed that way walking, standing or dancing for the rest of the night. After the dance we went to her bossy friend's house and I tried to find the most central and least dark and secluded place in the middle of the floor to hopefully put the breaks on any friskiness she was contemplating. Part way into the movie I claimed infirmity of some kind and excused myself to go home. On the way out she tried to turn a goodnight hug into a goodnight kiss and I deflected it and headed home alone trying to figure a graceful way out of this situation. I could not, so I tried just not returning her calls instead as per my standard procedure. That just made her bossy friend really mad and she physically confronted me in the halls of the school the middle of the next week after a few days of trying to avoid the needy girl. She yelled at me and said I was a jerk for using her friend and being all cuddly and whatnot on our date and then just ignoring her. I tried to calm her down to avoid a scene but she was having none of it and went right on accusing me of leading her friend on and then just ignoring her. I made some lame excuses about why I hadn't been in touch, not the truth because I didn't dislike the girl and didn't want to hurt her feelings but at the same time I was not interested. I needed a way out and so I made a plan.