My Brother Bails Me Out

After her friend yelled at me in the hall I capitulated and returned my overzealous admirers phone calls. Then she was back to the being outside all of my classes schedule. I had another dance, boys choice coming up and I didn't want to take her but I also didn't want to get murdered in my sleep or in a more ignominious manner. I was trying to figure out a slick and easy way out and I couldn't so I came up with the plan I teased at the end of the last post. I asked my little brother to ask her out to the dance. My plan was that if he asked her she would have to go with him and I could legitimately not ask her and then it would give me a way out of her overbearing affections and my brother could make a clean escape as well. I don't really know what my brother's motivation was besides helping me out because I don't think that he had any interest in her besides that. He went all out and made her a volleyball sized paper mache pig-like alien and had the invitation to the dance on a strip of paper that fed out of it's mouth. The day after he asked her I was in English class in the morning she came to the door and asked to talk to me. The teacher gave me permission to leave and we went and sat on a bench that was set into the wall of a back hall and she worked up the courage to tell me what was on her mind. She was fervent and a little more intense than the situation merited when she explained her problem. She told me that my brother had asked her out to the dance. Did he now? She told me that she did want to go with him but she wanted to make sure I was okay with it because we kind-of had something going and she didn't want to hurt my feelings. I played it cool as I saw the end of this ordeal clearly in my sights. I took a deep breath to indicated my level of contemplation and concern and I let it out slowly and then told her I thought she should go with him and have a fun time. She said she was glad that I was okay with it and she gave me a hug and left down the hall. I felt like I had been filled up with freedom and happiness from my toes to my head. I didn't celebrate until she was around the corner but then I gave it a silent fist pumping 'Yes!' and then I went back to class much more relieved and happy than I should have been I guess. My brother took her to the dance and I took someone else and I may have asked him how it went but I don't remember what he told me. The important thing as far as I was concerned was that she stopped hanging out waiting for each of my classes to end and she stopped calling and her crazy friend didn't yell at me again. That is not true, she did yell at me again one time 5 years later when her boyfriend’s cousin was my roommate and she came over for a visit and we got into it a little.