I Sing at My Great-Grandfather's Funeral


A few months or years after I met him for the first and only time, my great-grandfather died. I was not sad because he was a complete stranger that I had met one time. As they were organizing the funeral they thought it would be nice to have one of his grandsons sing his favorite song at the funeral. None would. They decided to try for great-grandkids but the way my great aunt wanted it she wanted a soloist to sweetly sing the verse and the other kids sing the chorus. No one else would agree to sing solo so I volunteered with the caveat that I was not a good singer. I wasn't, and I wasn't being modest like my great aunt thought I was just always willing to volunteer, as I have mentioned before. I was not really sure what I had volunteered for but my siblings and I got dressed in our Sunday best and went to the funeral home for a quick run-through. I was supposed to stand a little in front of the other kids and sing into the microphone and then they would join in without individual mics. The run through demonstrated my horrible lack of musical ability but it was too late and my unsubtle great aunt open lamented my lack of talent and that she wished I would have been better. They had some talks and comments and then it was our turn. Not many people were there and only a few were crying, but it was the reserved sadness of those morning a nonogenarian they barely knew. My singing was so bad, almost comically so, that I noticed that many people stopped crying to fully dedicate their faculties to witnessing this abomination. Well, the best news was that it was over soon and like a healing salve I was able to dry the tears of those who mourned by the pure white hot horror of my amplified auditory assault. I was not even praised in the perfunctory manner customary of recognition for any job done by a child. I guess praise was too far from what the performance deserved and the cognitive dissonance that would have been created may have ripped the fabric of the social-courtesy continuum. I have never been asked to sing in any solo capacity since.