He Who Pushes the Sled Will Kill You


 I liked when my scout troop was bullying other kids because then they were distracted from bullying me. The competition portion of the Klondike derby was focused around sleds that each troop was supposed to build ours was a super nice aluminum and ski sled with a net deck instead of the wooden one that most of the other sleds had. Ours was super light and carried all of our gear without sinking into the snow at all. We dominated the competition in racing and where you were racing was from one station to the next competing in survival challenges. We were a troop of kids who did stuff like that for fun so we ate them up at that too. The problem was that we finished hours before some of the other troops and we were left with some free time which was not good for me being low man on the totem pole. We decided to use our sled to sled down the hill we had previously used to try and assassinate people. A Klondike sled has no way to steer it which was a big problem when the sledding hill turned. It also turned out by 'we should go sledding' really meant 'you should go sledding'. I was all alone on the sled and three of the older boys gave me a huge push and I was off. I was gaining a lot of speed and was coming into a corner fast I told the boys to go ahead and slow me down now but it turned out that after the initial push they had let it go and were watching and laughing from the top of the hill. If I didn't make the corner I would shoot off into the mostly frozen pond so I decided to bail out instead. The pond was fed by a spring that kept a 10' section of it from freezing which looked like where I was heading even after bailing out. I was sliding down beside the sled and not loosing speed fast enough even though I was trying to dig in any part of my body into the snow and ice. I was really starting to panic when I hit a rock with the middle of my back which slowed me down and spun me around and bruising me pretty badly. The sled kept going and shot right into the pond with only the handle and the back of the sled sicking out. The other boys ran down, not to check on my safety but to yell at me for letting the sled go into the pond because I guess they didn't really know about gravity and velocity and stuff like that. I was laying on the ground writhing in pain trying to get my breath back while they yelled at me and told me to go get a rope to haul out the sled with. I got myself together and hiked up the hill and got a rope and we hauled it out. I was really sore but I was glad that the sled wasn't hurt, we loved that sled.