I Meet My Great-Grandfather


I did not know my great-grandfather I only met him once and then he died. The one time that I met him was the summer when I was eleven and my maternal grandma Joanne had come down to Utah for a visit with my half-uncle David. It happened to be the first time I had ever met my mentally ill and reclusive grandmother and her son David. We loaded up one day to go and visit her dad in a nearby town. When we got there we knocked at the door and rang the bell but no-one answered even though we could see my grandfather and his brother puttering about. We banged louder and they still didn't notice but the door was locked. I had to go around to the back to see if there was a window or door open and there was one in the downstairs back that I climbed through. So technically I burglarized my great-grandfather's house before I even met him. I walked to the front door without saying hi or even making an effort to get my grandfather's attention I just walked quickly to the front door and let my newly met grandmother and uncle in. She caught up with her dad whom she had not seen in twenty years with a perfunctory hug and kiss which neither of them seemed that interested in and then she helped him get his hearing aid in and absented herself. The idea was that my great-grandfather was supposed to teach my teenage uncle and I the ins and outs of chemistry a topic in which he was well versed. We really didn't want to learn chemistry and he really didn't want to teach us but there we were refugees on a living-room lifeboat twisting in the currants set forth by others and we were waiting it out. He got out a book that he wrote for a chemistry class and started telling us that the thing to know about chemistry was that 90% was useless because most elements were too rare or the reactions were not possible in ordinary conditions. At that point his hearing aid started malfunctioning and ringing quite loudly. I say quite loudly and that was from my perspective and he didn't seem to mind. Until he took it out and held it at arms length with one hand as he pointed out a modified periodic table that excluded the unusual and unimportant elements. David and I were trying to bear the noise of the thing and pay a little attention but we were really not interested in the chemistry or this old man that allegedly shared some of our genetic material. We were saved in a few hours and went back home where we took a pile of quarters and my brother down to the local greasy spoon where we spent about six hours beating Street Fighter 2 with E. Honda. So the day was not wasted.