How To Be Cool and Going Out and Stuff


 My older sister knew everything about being cool and what being cool meant. She knew what it meant to be going out with some one. One of the requirements, perhaps ironically, was not to have actually gone out with them in the sense that you went and did something together as a couple. She did however have a quite extensive hand written list of other rules and restrictions of what a couple and each individual in the couple could or could not do to remain a couple. It was awesome. I read the list but I was not sure what it meant it was like some beautiful foreign language that only the initiates of Junior High could decipher. I didn't have a girl friend but I wanted to make sure that if I did have one that I knew what was the protocols and jargon so I didn't look like a fool. My sister gave me a long point by point run down with examples of real life, actually hypothetical real life, situations in which each rule could be interpreted. I loved it for two reasons: one, my sister was paying attention to me in a positive way and two, I was learning the secrets of what cool people knew and it was awesome. After she had to leave to go and hang out with her friends I was a little elated at having been brought into the theoretical circle of knowledge. I went and laid down on my parents bed and looked up at the ceiling and ran though imaginary situations of going out and being cool. I even devised a plan to be cool in the proximal future and to get a girlfriend with whom I would perform every obligation and nuance of coupleship with out error. This is why you should never embrace theory in a vacuum because you can forget critical practical implications of your real life as it pertains to your new fantasy. The main problems were that I was still a massive nerd and I was still desperately uncool and planning out a strategy to be cool was not what cool people did. For that afternoon I could dream and get a little euphoric at the implications of my new found popularity and that was a good feeling while it lasted.