Rock-Paper-Scissors, Leg Wrestling and Q-tips

 I need to get my stories strait, I left out another one that is pretty telling about my character that happened the end of my junior year. Luckily, this particular time machine is still revved up and back works just as well as forward. When my fellow student council hopefuls and I were supposed to put on an activity to show what kind of organization we would run we made some critical errors in judgment. Almost entirely at my urging we decided on having a three headed bracketed tournament featuring rock-paper-scissors ( good idea), leg wrestling (bad idea), and Mega-Q-tip-tilt-board jousting (terrible idea). Rock paper scissors has the benefit of being quick, universally understood, and non-violent. Double plus good. That bracket went off without a hitch and had a popular kid and a nerd in the final, just like a Disney movie. Like a Disney movie the nerd won but in a shocking turn of events based on what those films taught us, most people were unhappy that the scrappy come from behind nerd won. I am starting to think that those movies may be less based on reality then they claim. Leg wrestling was aborted early on because it is violent and really depends on the contestants being more or less the same size and gender. Almost no girls signed up and the ones that did were quickly eliminated by the football players who were in no way surprisingly dominate at a game that favored speed, strength and athleticism. Some rivalry was ignited and the leg wrestles got more intense then fun and refs were yelled at and we had to call it at an eight-way draw. Balance board jousting was just a stupid idea from the get go. I got the idea from American Gladiators.
Imagine this exact same thing without the hot chicks, the helmets, the knee pads, the referee, and the quality equipment. 
 If you remember though American gladiators had the contestants wear helmets, had well padded sticks and had mature adults participating. Anyone reading this who has had any experience with teenage boys can tell you what I did wrong. I put weapons in the hands of psychopaths. The bracket filled up quickly because there were weapons and hitting and that appeals to a certain high school demographic. The sticks we provided were broom handles tipped with tee-shirt globs taped on with duct tape and we discovered in the very first round two things, we should have done like the Gladiators had and put on helmets and that there was no good way for the ref to stop the action because he had no stick and was much less violent than the contestants. The first joust pitted a kid who needed no excuse to be crazy against one with less self-control then that and the contest turned into a bloody melee in less then ten seconds. The rules were that both people were supposed to stand on balance boards, hold their sticks with two hands and pummel, the first one off lost and then they were both supposed to quit. None of that happened. The first kid fell of before they engaged and then he choked up his stick into a base ball grip and swung as hard as he could at the other kid's head. Thankfully the blow was checked and only caused a bloody nose and not a concussion. The assaulted kid attacked back and battle was enjoined in earnest. I was yelling at them to stop, that had exactly no effect and then I tried to grab one of the sticks away and that was met with resistance as well. Eventually the vice principal came and ordered the fight to stop and that worked. He forbade the continuation of that contest and I couldn't have been more happy to oblige him. The rest of the time the rock-paper-scissors thing was going on people kept coming up and asking where those sticks were because they wanted a whack. I told them they were in heaven with all the pretty angels and left it at that. I was embarrassed at how badly I had misjudged my activities but as time would tell it was actually a pretty fair evaluation of the type of leadership I would bring to the position until I was kicked out.