I Am A Quitter

It was one of my firmly held fantasies when I was young that I had some special force of will that would push me through when others would quit. This was not true, I had an average to below average force of will. I had hung in with the basketball conditioning drills and I thought that was pretty hard but there is some truth to what they say about wrestling being what men are doing while the boys play basketball. Before we would start practice we would run up and down the stairs twenty times and that would be what I thought was a reasonable amount of excessiveness and then we would work technique and then we would wrestle for thirty minutes and then burn it down at the end of practice. Too much. The final burn-down was a series of relay races from one end of the wrestling room to the other. It was hand walking followed by a bear crawl and on and on at full speed in 120 degree heat. One of the rules that I didn't know was that you were not supposed to sit down while you waited for your turn again in line. I was winded and hurting and came back and leaned against the wall which I guess was okay and then when the line moved forward I sat down and the a bunch of the old timers lost their minds. No warning or gentle correction for me it was just rage about me being a quitter and to stand the F-word up right f-wording then. Before I had enough time to stand up one of the life time wrestlers came up and kicked me hard in the butt. I started a little embarrassed, which changed to rage pretty quickly. I told the kicker that he better not touch me again and that I didn't know that it was a rule not to sit down. I was exhausted but he had pushed the line a little far. I stood up and pushed him which is not in my character when not pushed to the physical and mental limit. He fought back and we went to the ground and were quickly surrounded and just as quickly broken up. I felt like creaming and crying or doing something to express my anger and exhaustion. The coach yelled at us for fighting and then told us to go run two miles. It was so nice and cold outside and jogging two miles was a reprieve not a punishment. As we jogged the kicker kid jogged beside me and apologized for kicking me I said I hadn't known that sitting down was not allowed because it was my first time wrestling. We didn't become fast friends but we did hit it off and never had a problem again. After we were done running I went in and picked up my clothes and didn't change, went to the local grocery store bought a gallon of the cheapest flavored gallon of drink they had and drank it down it one go. I Drove home, ran a bath, went to sleep in the bath, woke up, crawled to my room and slept until morning. Not the best day I have ever had - honestly.