I Think I Can Wrestle

In between tournaments in the rather longish debate season I heard a call for open wrestling tryouts and I thought I could wrestle. It turned out that I was able to wrestle better than anything else I had tried in high school sports because I made the team instantly. That was mainly down to the fact that everyone who showed up was on the team. The coach said that he liked my can-do attitude for coming out and trying to wrestle when I was 17 and most of the other boys had been wrestling their whole lives since they were 4 or five. I didn't know the rules or the moves but I did know how to go full blast for six minutes of grappling and that turned out to be enough to get onto the varsity team and win four of my 18 matches. This once again was not so much a commentary on my innate ability to wrestle so much as the really pathetic squad we were fielding my senor year. We were loo sign wrestling matches by thirty, forty points and that is almost unheard of. Many of the kids I was there practicing with were only there because their fathers had insisted or bribed them and they gave little to no effort. Because I was doing so well against the ragamuffins in and around my weight class with the one exception of the kid who was in the class closet to my natural weight I thought I would be some pretty big trouble for all those who would have to face me in the squared circle of the wrestling mat. I was almost entirely wrong excepting cripples, the violently ill, and in a particularly low point, a cancer patient.