Calculus is No Laughing Matter

Math always came easy for me so I had been on the accelerated path though the available maths until I reached the top of what was left in my senior year the great big baddy of the high school math classes – calculus. It turned out to be easier for me than the previous class because the teacher was just really good and there was a girl who sat by me who was really smart and not averse to sharing homework. She was also cute so I will not let it be said that I was attracted to her purely for her amazing grasp of quantitative reasoning. I did fine on tests without having to do any homework because it just came to me so I would often be goofing off in class while other kids were trying to learn. Inconsiderate right? You are right but where is your proof? <-Math joke. If you thought that was funny I may have bad news about how cool you are. One day I was particularly euphoric and free wheeling and I got a bad case of downward spiraling laughter. I laughed so hard that it started being funny to me that I was laughing and the typically long suffering teacher told me to knock it off or leave. I tried to knock it off but I had not stern English nanny to bring me down off the roof, so to speak. He told em to come up to the front and solve a problem on the board or I would get zero credit for the section. That calmed me down because I took math as performance art very seriously. He wrote out the hardest problem he could find in the section and I went right to work solving the equation. It didn't take me long which I think disappointed him a little because he wanted it to be an object lesson on the need to pay attention. When I finished he said it was correct and that I should go sit down and shut up. I did and then I felt bad for disrupting his class because he was actually a pretty cool guy and the best math teacher I had ever had. I stopped goofing off in his class and it got harder as the year went on and I was required by pure necessity to pay attention. It was a good thing too because in college they expect you to know some of that stuff.