My First Hippy and My Shamefully Bad Friendship.


Behold the grandeur, If this is not the home for a mulleted kid I don't know where is.

Shortly after the accident we moved to a small town to live in the trailer park there. The trailer park was shaped like the letter 'S' and we were right at the top second from the end. We were moving the trailer in and I remember it being sunny and yellow. There was sparse vegetation, just limestone dirt all around. A little boy from next door came over to talk with us and ask if we would like to play. He was the first boy I had ever seen in my whole life that had long hair. I hid behind my dad as he uncoupled the trailer from the truck and asked the kid his name.
He said, “Josh”.
That blew my mind because he did look like a boy but he had long luxuriant blond hair. I asked him strait out, “Josh, are you a boy or a girl?”
He said, “A boy”
I said, “That's good, 'cause then we can be friends.'
He asked, “How many horny toads have you ever caught?”
I said, “None ever.”
He was dumbstruck, “What? like never-ever?”
That is how Josh and I became friends. We were good friends until a few years later I discovered that other kids thought he was scroungy and not cool. So, I threw him under the bus and ignored him. Which I still regret. We have met few time since as adults and we hit it off fine but he knows and I know I ditched him when it wasn't cool to be his friend. I think people who miss their childhood romanticize it and forgot how bad it is.