Moving to the Right Side of the Tracks

That's a cool cat right there

Later on we moved up the road, still in a trailer but now we were living on my dad's boss's property just a hundred feet or so from the train tracks. The train ran by often taking coal to the steel mill just up the road. It would shake our plates and windows every time it would rumble past. The yard featured bare dirt around the house so when it rained it got really muddy. 

On One such day my sister and I decided to play Indians in the mud. We thought playing Indians meant taking off all of our clothes and painting ourselves in filth and hollering while using our hands to ululate our voices. It was really fun until my dad cleaned us off with the ice cold hose before we could go inside and take warm baths. I remember how cold and miserable it was to be sprayed off on the porch and have since never played naked in the mud, just in case. 

We also had a hutch where we kept some rabbits that my dad was raising for meat. One day the mamma doe went crazy for some reason, maybe from sickness. She ate all her babies and then killed herself trying to chew through the wire on her cage. It was horrific carnage and that is the first time I saw anything die and I was really sad. 

Our trailer home was in a field at the bottom of a steep hill and one day in the summer my dad laid out a tarp on the side of the hill and ran a hose down it to make a water slide. It was too fast and too dangerous and it was really fun and there was not enough of a landing so you would usually slide right off the end into the mud-puddle. We got to slide until my mom ruined our fun by getting stung by a wasp and making a big deal of it. 

Ow! ow! ow! Fun times over just because there is a swarm of enraged yellow jackets stinging me; selfish.