The Pitfalls of Friendship - Josh is Used for Atari

Yeah, when you have graphics and game-play like this you make sacrifices

My friend Josh had an Atari 2600 video game console and the games “Pitfall!”, “Pac-man” and one that had 18 different games which were all almost identical shooting games. Growing up, my family never had a video game console. So every time I was at someone's house who did have a video game I would try to steer the play towards the coveted pastime. 
One night I worked out the perfect plan, I would sleep over at Josh's house and we would play until he went to sleep and I would outlast him. I would have unfettered access to the games, all I had to do is stay up all night. We played late into the night and everything seemed to be going to plan until his mom came out and told us it was too damn late to be playing video games. She took the controllers and told us we couldn't have them until morning. 
With the games stolen away Josh went right to sleep because 'Pitfall!" was old news to him. 
I rested fitfully from midnight until five thinking of missed hours of digital dangers. That is when I figured that the controllers had paid their debt to society and should be free. I woke Josh up and told him to go ask his mom for the controllers back. My reasoning being that it was technically, morning. He went and knocked on her door to ask and she yelled something sweary and told him that on Saturday morning started after nine. He came back to end of the hall where I was waiting and told me we would have to wait. 
We had been dealt a blow, there was no denying that, but for great rewards one must sometimes make great sacrifices. I convinced Josh that his mom just didn't want to get up and give us the controllers. She hadn't specifically said we couldn't have them. He went back opened her door, crept into the room and found the controllers. That is when the trap closed, she woke up for the second time, at the crack of dawn, on her day off, and unleashed a fury on Josh - slaps, kicks and hair pulling. He was screaming and crying, trying to escape while she brought down hell on him. 
I couldn't help but think I was partly responsible for the suffering he was enduring so in a show of solidarity I ducked out and ran back home. 
To be honest, I did feel bad, I was a little sulky that I didn't get to play more games.