A Wood Shop Oversolicitude


 Some of the girls in the class claimed that our wood-shop teacher was at turns a little more hands on then seemed appropriate. He would give the boys general directions from a reasonable distance but a couple of our female classmates swore that when it was there turn for a little personal assistance he would take the time to close the gap and get right in there close. One afternoon after school my girlfriend was finishing up her wood-shop project and she had asked me to come and help. When I got there a few minutes late the shop teacher was in there with her standing very close behind her draped over her helping her draw some guide lines on a door she was finishing. When I walked in They both said hi and didn't move until they were done with the layout. I couldn't tell if he was being creepy or if he just had an avuncular but really poor sense of personal space because he didn't seem self conscious of it. When we were alone I asked her if she felt uncomfortable and she said, no that he had just been helping her and she thought nothing of it. To my knowledge there was never any scandal but the scuttlebutt around the junior high was that he was at least a bit cuddlier then average if nothing else. I was prejudiced in his favor because he taught all of my favorite classes and seemed like a really nice guy.