Swirly


 I was talking to my brother Matt the other night and he was asking why I had never written about the time I got a swirly. I honestly told him I didn't think I had ever gotten one. He reminded me of the details and it all came back to me so without further, or farther ado. As was my custom I liked to keep a joke going on past the point where it was funny for most reasonable people and on into the wasteland of personal danger. One night at our weekly church youth activity night playing basketball with some older boys when I started making a joke about one of the heavier and less coordinated one. I kept pushing my luck because I thought if we were in church there was not a chance that they would beat me up. They warned me to stop several times. I declined to take them up on that word to the wise a kept right on joking. After a few more minutes they followed through on their threats and three of them picked me up and took me into the bathroom for a swirly. A swirly is when someone or someones dip your head into a toilet and then flushes it and thus swirls your hair. Not the most dignified of experiences I can assure you. I was struggling and fighting to wriggle free when they dipped my head and flushed and then let me go. I fought back tears and tried to dry out my hair and one of the boys who did it to me made sure I was okay and then told me I just needed to learn when to shut up. I already knew that. I tried to gather myself and put my long floppy hair out of my face. I tried to take the most direct route home to take a shower and have a good cry but I still ran into a few people on my way out of the church and on my way home and I had to explain why I had sopping wet hair in the middle of the night in the winter. I told them quickly and kept up a brave face until I was out of the building and then I broke down. I went home and cleaned up and a little while later on of the church youth leaders called to see what happened and to offer to talk to the kids who did the swirling parents to get them punished but I said that it was okay and that I had been teasing the fat kid so I was not really on the moral high-ground.