Mile Swim


 I was helpless to resist the lure of endurance events because I had an active imagination and unflagging optimism which meant I was able to delude myself into thinking I could easily complete all kinds of ridiculous tasks. At this camp you could earn a special patch by swimming a mile in the lake. I was a pretty good swimmer and a mile doesn't sound like very far if you consider it in walking terms. I signed up thinking it would be no big deal but I was wrong. A mile swimming is a very long, a very very long way. I got in the water along with my required minder in a canoe and swam out towards the first marker which was a a quarter mile out. I was feeling strong for the first eighth of a mile but then I started to get a little tired and by a quarter mile I was a lottle tired. I told my minder I was fine and swam toward the half mile buoy. At this point my minder was getting a little board at my slow pace and he started ranging thirty and then forty feet away. I was starting to feel really tired and my legs were cramping. I got to the half mile buoy that was in the middle of the lake where I was supposed to turn around but I feel like I am going to die if I try to swim back. Unfortunately my minder was now too far away to hear me yell with my missing voice so I switch to a nice relaxed back stroke and start back to the quarter mile marker. I started to loose consciousness and my vision was going brown and then black around the edges. I stopped swimming and tried to control my breathing and float and when I was able to see clearly again I turned over and tried to locate my minder who was way out of yelling range with my horse voice so I started crying a little bit and went over to my back and started swimming again. I was really terrified because I was not even to the last quarter mile and I was feeling really badly. I was not passing out anymore but I was cramping badly so I stopped swimming with my arms and just kicked my legs. I was planning on stopping at the quarter mile buoy and just waiting for help but in my back stroking had gotten too far off track and overshot the buoy so when I looked up again it was a couple of hundred feet away and I started crying again and decided that I just needed to get to shore so I just kept swimming until my feet hit the ground and I turned around and tried to stand up but fell back face down in the water and I had to crawl up through the shallow water onto the bank. When I had gotten out of the water I vomited, fell down rolled over and passed out. A couple people ran over to see if I was okay but I was unconscious for a little too long so they sent for the camp paramedics who got there and revived me and gave me something to drink. I told them I was about to pass out while I was swimming but my minder was gone. He was still nowhere to be found. We had been on the shore for 15 minutes or so when he came wandering up saying he was looking for his swimmer because he couldn't find me and he wasn't sure where I was. He got yelled at and I tried to get up and walk but my legs were completely locked up so the Boy Scouts got to do the figure our arm carry that they love to pull out in an emergency. They took me up to my camp and I laid down and slept for the rest of the day and didn't wake up immensely hungry and thirsty in the middle of the night. I woke up and tried to go to find some food and water but it was really dark and my legs were cramped so I just ended up knockign over some coolers and pans waking up a lot of people who found me in a pile and helped get me a drink and some cold stew and I went back to bed. It was a good day because I didn't die but besides that not an otherwise great time. The patch was not worth it.