Camp Scout


The summer after ninth grade I went to scout camp twice. I actually wasn’t a good boy scout. I liked camping and playing sports but I was not into filling out forms and wearing uniforms. The first camp I went to that summer was just for any run of the mill scout in our troop. It was a week long affair held at a purpose built camp at a local lake. I had never been to a real camp with scheduled events and rules and singing and crafts and whatnot. I liked that they had kayaks and guns and plenty of water chocked full of fish. I didn't like all the bossiness about telling us when and where to be and how to be dressed and all that nonsense. My scout battalions penchant for anarchism was set on a collision course with Johnny Scout Law and it was just a matter of time before the fit hit the shan. I may not have got that salty phrase exactly right, I will look it up. We started out fine on the first day before we had any obligatory pageantry. We set up camp, got our food out, and got our tents assembled. Then we went fishing and everything was glorious. That too did pass and the schedule started bossing us around we were required to eat dinner at 5, too early by a ways in my opinion because we were burning daylight that could be better served fishing. As we were cooking dinner it started to rain and kept right on doing that for the rest of the night. We stayed under our pavilion joking and playing around until 11 and then we retired to our sleeping bags in our tents. The rain got worse and worse until between that and the rain our tent had fallen down in the middle of the night. A kid named Abe woke up confused and trying to sort out where and when he was and why there was green mildewy ripstop nylon pressing against his face in the dark, trying to loll him. A puddle of rain had formed in a depression between him and I and when he lifted up the tent that was holding the water it flowed right into my open sleeping bag. I was sopping wet and miserable and I had a lot of night left to go when this minor tragedy transpired. I shivered in my wet bag until there was enough pre-dawn to see by and then I got up and changed. That is when I realized that the cold and wet slumber had caused me to lose my voice which was my super power and my curse. I sounded like a smart-ass little raspy frog who had lost his normal projection and volume. This made all of the funny sass that I provided for the rest of the week more funny and less audible which had the effect of having everyone ask what was said and getting to repeat my joke.