White Springs Fall In


I am not going to drink my own uncle's pee. I won't. 
Once we got Florida one of the first things we did was to go by my dad's cousin's family's amusement park. 
If you have never been to the south the one thing you must know is that everyone is a cousin to everyone and they all know how they are all related. This is because they have kept the gene pool relatively parochial, with no need to mix with northerners. This amusement park was modest and abandoned but at one time had a roller skating rink a swimming area in the spring and slides and a diving board. There were also pinball machines and a dance for or as the hillbillies liked to call it a 'juke joint'. It was called White Springs the first time I went my cousin told me it was more like white trash springs. Being from the racially homogeneous and harmonious west I had never heard the term white trash ans assumed that he was referring to it having a lot of garbage around. We were there in the middle of the winter so no one was swimming and my siblings cousins and I we running around on the equipment and in the roller skating rink and down by the stream that ran off from the spring. My cousins all started jumping over the stream and my dad yelled down to us to not jump and to run back around because it was time to go and he didn't want us falling in a getting wet. I was, as many nerds are, overly optimistic about my physical prowess so I decided to thoughtfully decline my father's request and go for it anyway. It went badly. I jumped about six-inches short of terra firma and landed instead on a patch of moss and slid as quickly as gravity and my momentum could manage face first into the bank. From there I went ahead and fell into the stream proper and got soaked and a bloody nose as well as a respectably thorough spanking for my troubles. I have since decided to always look before I leap and then don't. In later years white springs was closed to swimming and is now used by a bottled water company as a 'source untouched and protected for millions of years'. Lies. I know for sure that I have peed in it, and I think it would be safe to assume that most of my kin did also. To be clear, the befoulment of this pristine source was more recent then the millions of years claimed on the bottle.