Potty Time! Ya'll sit down, Ya Hear?


My line in the sand.

My dad was naturally in charge of taking care of the toilet facilities so being the cry baby that he is he had all kinds of rules to make his life less miserable. The camper was equipped with a chemical toilet that held a few gallons of excreta and a blue fluid that did something magical to the poop juice. It had to be taken out and emptied about once a day as my dad had two tanks on the truck and would only stop for fuel if it was absolutely necessary. That meant there was lots of pit stops taken on the fly in the back by the kids. He did ask the we kept the number two saved up as much as possible to be deposited at a KOA or a gas station if possible, emergencies excepted. He also demanded that everyone sat down to tinkle which as an manly man of eight I took as a deeply personal insult. I had been equipped from the factory to urinate standing up and it was like spitting in god's face in disrespect for that magnificent bestowal to condescend to pee sitting down, even if it was in a moving vehicle. Everyday when my dad had to come in a pick up the toilet he would see that some mysterious sprinkle sprite had left pee splatters on the seat, and handle, and wall, and floor, and quite irrationally blame me for the mess. I would assure him that while there was definitely urine on the every-damn-thing that I was confident of my aim and it must have been him or my brother, then six, that had done it. I even once suggested it may had been a particularly rambunctious female who could be guilty. He wasn't in the mood to listen to calm logic and was cranky about having to dump out containers of suage without having the outside coved in it as well and said he would unleash the angels of death, hell and destruction on my bottom if the pee ever found itself on the wrong, specifically out, side of the toilet. I still never sat down to pee but I would swab the decks with a little toilet paper after I was forced off my mark by forces beyond my control. A man has to hold on to his dignity in whatever way he can Viktor Frankl did it by remaining true to his core beliefs in a concentration camp and I did it by peeing on the seat.