Barkies




In the movie 'Better Off Dead' a character complains about the size of the town they live in while he is buying several cans of whip-cream saying it was so small you couldn't even buy real drugs. Santaquin was not that small. However, my sister and brother and I couldn't buy real drug or cigarettes so we made fake cigarettes from various weeds and herbs and whatsits all rolled up in paper a lot a bit thicker then your standard rolling papers. We had quite a bit of mint and onions growing untended in the front of our house and my sister would roll up a fat grass/mint/onion joint and light it up. It did not flare up and then die down to the gentle ember of a more commercial cigarette because the guts were too wet and the paper was too thick so t just burned on until it was extinguished. Then she would breathe in the smoke and see if it had any effect. In case you were wondering why onion and mint have not caught on really big as flavors for cigarettes it is because it is noxious and foul. She tired a few different recipes but I quickly soured on the enterprise utterly convinced that I would be found by the cops and arrested for the possession and manufacture of simulated drugs. After the first flush of excitement my anxiety kicked in and I went inside the vacant house in the front of our property and hid while occasionally looking out the window to see exactly how naughty my sister was being. Maybe that is why later in life she picked up smoking for real and I did not. I should go around to schools and tell young kids about how onion/mint barkies are a gateway to real cigarettes and that is why big tobacco want them to try barkies. So, constant reader if a older boy or girl offers you a piece of newspaper rolled around some weeds and entices you to light it on fire and then put it out and then inhale the noxious smoke – Just Say No!