Skateboard Road Rash


My brother and I were the type of kids who were always looking for ways to take our hobbies to the next level of danger. In my mind I would work out elaborate fantasies about how cool it would look if we added some other thing to the mundane thing were were currently attempting. Something that seemed to me at the time like a good idea but about the time a sizable portion of my skin had been relocated to the pavement was towing a skateboard behind a bike. We had a ski tow rope that we took from our boat and we had ties it onto the seat post of my bike. My brother was in charge of the peddling and it was not easy to pull another kid on a skateboard on the kind of roads that we had in Santaquin the surface was rather rough. I tried riding behind wake board style by the irregular lurching of the bike and the skateboard across the road made it impossible for me to stand. Then I hit upon a tragically simple idea why not lay down face first on the skate board and let him pull me on my belly? What I had not remembered is that half of the time when I was pulled off of the skateboard I was able to jump off and run a couple of step to keep from falling. A skateboard is also not a vehicle really designed for rural roads. That is because they have about one centimeter of clearance and therefor, any rock larger then a centimeter with stop the whole board as quickly and as surely as if it had four wheel breaking. The other problem, that I didn't think was a problem at first was that laying on the board made it possible to stay on and my brother was able to get me going about five miles per hour in our church parking lot. For a few amazing second the rush of the road under the board and the whip of wind around my face felt like success. Then I hit a rock and the board stayed and I went, and that felt much less like success and more like being ran over a cheese grater. The rode ripped the sleeve and side off of my shirt and I skidded to a stop with quite a bit of my on the rode and a fair amount of the rode in me. I limped home bleeding and crying and My brother came home beside me walking his bike and carrying the skateboard. I had to soak out all of the gravel that was imbedded in my arm and side and then my mom picked out most of the rocks and bandaged it up the best she could. I took over a month to heal because the scab was so big and all over it was massively painful to dress, undress or sleep. That is the last time I ever did something that dumb. . .until the next time.