Is Your Mom A Sheep?


My dad ran his appliance sales and repair business out of our house so many time customers would just drop in with a question or request but my dad was never home. That meant they would usually talk to my mom which was useless because she preferred not to sully herself with the details of the business. The other problem was that my mom had a sacrosanct two hour siesta time in the early afternoon and no one violated that time if you did not want to die. Actually, violating nap time was the one thing we were most consistently punished for, and it was big time trouble. One day an old man without his dentures came looking for a part for his dryer but without teeth he was incredibly difficult to understand. He was also an old time cowboy so he had that drawl going on and that did not help. When he knocked I went to the door and he asked me if my 'Dab' was 'aroumb', I told him my dad was at work and that I could talk a message.
He told me he didn't want to “leabe any gob dab messadge, 'cause he don't returmb dem.”
True enough sir, but I would like to get back to playing so how can I get you off the porch? That last bit is what I was feeling if not thinking. Then he asked me where my 'Mob' was. I told him she was taking a nap. He was incredulous and asked 'Your mob is a sheep?'. Sensing a magnificent setup for a touch of smart-assery I responded to his question with a question, “Is my mom a sheep?'. Obviously frustrated he repeated more slowly, 'is – your - mob - a - sheep?'
I told him no she was not a sheep but she was taking a nap. That did the trick and he went on his way. My brother and I spent the next couple weeks asking each other if our mom was a sheep. It is actually still a pretty good family joke and anyone of us will know what you are asking if you want to know if our mom is a sheep.