This is Why We Can't Have Nice Scouts

My parents never signed me up for sports or activities outside the house. This was because my dad said it was a waste of my mothers time to have to ferry us back and forth. The one extra curricular I was allowed was cub scout so I really loved going to den and pack meetings because an adult had to pay attention to me for a couple of hours. I took full advantage of their good will and generally pressed the fun right out to the limit and often times right on past the limit. My first scout leader lady was a sweet local mother whose sons were all big into scouting and so she volunteered to be a den mother. She had us learn to play 'I've Been Working on the Railroad' on homemade kazoos constructed from a comb and a piece of wax paper. She taught us how to make a tin-foil dinner and cook it. She taught us how to make a 'buddy-burner' which is a huge candle used for cooking that is made out of cardboard and paraffin wax. We used our buddy-burner to cook food out in our fort so that was ultra-convenient. One time she had each of us come to pack meeting with a game in mind that we could teach all of the other kids to play. I was a big fan of Bill Cosby at the time and on one of his albums he describes a game called Buck-Buck. I think now with the wisdom of age that Buck-Buck was not a real game but a pretend game used for comic effect. The game was purportedly played kind of like 'Red Rover' but instead of running though the enemy line you had one team all kneel down on all fours and the other team send a guy one at a time to run and jump on the backs of the other team and try and crush them to the ground. If they hold up you loose the guy but if they break down you take one of the broken players home to your side. In Mr. Cosby's account they are loosing the game badly until they bring out their secret weapon Fat Albert. When I explained my game at pack night some of the adults were skeptical but they allowed it to start so I divided the boys into two teams and the first team all knelt down to get ready to try and hold up to the coming abuse. Contrary to the image I got of the game being fairly evenly matched between holder-uppers and breaker-downers the breakers had the distinct advantage and there were several injuries in the first round and the game was called off when a boy started crying because he had been jumped on by a 120 pound kid who delivered all of his weight onto the small of the smaller boy's back. My leaders had to learn the hard way that you do not ask me for advice on how to do something or someone was going to be severely injured. Ita was a good lesson to get out of the way before they let me organize something life threatening.