Jumping Off of the Loft


 I mentioned that when we built the add-on to our trailer that we had an 8 foot square loft that was about eight feet off the floor. This loft was accessed by a ladder made out of 3/4” pipe that had been drilled through a 4x4 making a ladder that would cut your foot just about in half as you tried to climb it in bare feet. The loft itself had not a single shred of safety device at the top it was just a carpeted platform in the sky with a strait drop off of one edge. The edge with the drop had a water-bed indirectly below it but well within the jumping range of kids over about six, never younger. We had been jumping off the loft pretty much since it was installed with no problem but we always kept it on the down low as to not unduly tax my parent's fragile sense of safety. When my parents left for another trip they had a neighbor girl come and watch us for a couple of days she was cute and fun and knew all about going out with people and stuff like that so we did not fight her authority because in mainly consisted of hanging out with us and talking. She was not a real strict disciplinarian and that usually keeps the fights to a minimum, everything falls apart, of course but at least it happens in peace. One morning we were up in the loft jumping off onto my parent's bed and just hanging out and having a good time when my older sister and younger brother and I left to go play leaving only my little sister to stay with the baby sister. I was actually needed on some important candy getting business up at the local pharmacy and was walking back chore completed and when I turned down my street I was passed by an ambulance and I actually thought, “That would be weird if they turned into my house.” They did, and I started running as fast as I could to cover the last two blocks home. I ran in and my little sister was being put on a stretcher and getting her head strapped down to be loaded into the ambulance. I was in a panic and the poor neighbor girl was hysterical and sobbing. She was telling the paramedics that my six-year-old sister had attempted a flip while jumping off the loft, had slipped and fallen onto the edge of the water bed and broken the bed and maybe herself. They took my sister into the emergency room where she told everyone that we had permission to jump off of the loft and our parents let us do it all the time which was naturally shocking to hear about the gross neglect we had endured and they were also wondering why four kids were home with no parents with only a 16 year-old girl watching them. It looked bad because it was bad. We had a loft with no safety precaution at all and we were alone with a girl much to young for any kind of long-term babysitting. My grandmother, 'Other-Mother', luckily only lived twenty minutes away and came to the rescue she got the hospital all squared away and told the concerned parties that she would take us and take care of us until my parents got home. This was exactly her type of thing she would have turned down the job of watching us but the chance to be self righteous was right up her psychological alley. My wounded sister was not hurt badly, she just had some bruised ribs but she played it up for the pampering. She was also telling everyone that would listen that my parents let us jump off of the loft all of the time and that her older siblings taught her to jump off and to do flips. My parents came home and were furious about the situation for which they were at least entirely responsible. My dad had never put a rail or wall up, they had a immature babysitter, and he blamed my brother and sister and I for, 'Teaching and encouraging your sister to jump.' We protested that we had always told her never to jump and that none of us were actually there at the time and that no one had ever tried a flip before she thought it would be a cool trick. He wouldn't hear of it and sentenced us to a long list of chores that included some of the perpetual organizational jobs we had around our mass of stuff. We had to clean out the cellar and the the front house for weeks without pay, and we were grounded all because an incompetent babysitter let my little sister try and do a flip off of a loft onto a water bed.. I am still angry at the injustice. My dad did put up a rail and then to jump off the loft you had to walk out in front of the rail holding on backwards to the rung. That did keep the idiots off and left it to the pros. He later installed a wall instead of a rail and you would have to jump 12 feet to reach the bed now. Not worth it.