G.I. Joe Comic and "Real" Ninja Weapons


 Mark had it all, he was living the young boys dream of having his own lockable fort/room and it was full of all kinds of really great stuff that his brothers and sister were not allowed, by reason of a lock, to touch. He had stacks of G.I. Joe comics which we would sit in his closet room for hours reading and discussing. I would have questions about the motivations of the ninja's in the G.I. Joe universe, because they were always doing crazy and anarchistic things. Whenever I had questions Mark had answers he was filled to the brim with knowledge about all of the coolest things and had an unbelievable amount of knowledge about the inner working of the secret order of assassins known as ninja. He would tell me all about how Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes were only bound in loyalty to the ninja code until Snake Eyes betrayed the ninjas to be loyal to the Joes. Storm shadow was still just a hired gun and if someone paid him more he would turn on Cobra in an instant. I was so taken in by the ninja mythology that it took over as my fantasy of choice for when I was going to have revenge on all the tough kids who bullied me in my life. Beyond just supplying my with the ninja mythos and imagery of the ninja Mark had real ninja weapons. I hope that you, dear constant reader, know that all of these uses of real and ninja should in retrospect be put in the wink-wink ironic quotes, but that is not how it felt at the time. Matt and I had always made weapons but our were homemade and shabby and the ones that Mark had were manufactured in a real ninja factory apparently located in China. He had ninja stars, butterfly knifes, a samurai sword and nun-chucks. They were awesome to behold and to handle. The samurai sword was not sharp but Mark assured me it was a traditional sword which had at one time been tested in the barbaric traditional ritual of cutting a prisoner right in half with one stroke to prove its edge. Awesome, double-plus awesome. I even got to try out the nun-chucks and they were awesome to but had a tendency to whack me in the side of my head or in the crotch when I tried to get all Bruce Lee. We spent hours playing ninja and acting out our ninja plans which included a lot of sneaking and hiding and attacking dummies we had made from refuse. When we had to come in at night because it was time to settle in for bed Mark would keep the ninja stories and factoids pouring in all night in between those malformed racists jokes. They were not just good times they were the best of times.