Home Schooling Redux


 I was back to home schooling for the fourth grade which meant I was back to not doing much at all. I spent a lot of time building the fort and using power tools to build a few things but the days were unstructured and I was usually always looking forward to the school day being over so I could go play with my friends who were confined to the regular 8:30 to 3 grind. I read lots of books, mostly world book encyclopedias, and wrote some pretty weird reports which were generally my speculations on dinosaur physiology or about air force jets. Instead of looking up some information in a book I would sketch out the foot bones of a sauropod and then a elephant foot and then write my completely speculative ideas about the different anatomical variations evolved to support extremely bulky animals. I was not really learning anything because my information on the subject was always incomplete and my report was always unfounded personal conjecture. I had reports of the same style about how helicopters work, and the nature of the human psyche. There is one weird one about human cognition which involves a two way conversation between the conscience and sub-conscience mind of a person involved in an accident. My mom would read these and save them and I have a couple still in scrapbook she has to this day. Besides those things we would go to the natural history museum and the field house which we called the run-around-place. I fell like my schooling, or lack thereof was instructive in alternative was as Paul Simon once sang, ' My lack of education hasn't hurt me, I can read the writing on the wall.'